sábado, 11 de abril de 2015

#486

The Deccan Traps are in my imaginary long ago since I knew it was one of the largest volcanic features in the world - it didn't take much to find an area that I (sattellite-)know fairly well ...

Next something small, right in the image center, with some unusual characteristics:



Your goal is to find out the exact location and the geology of this place and, if you are the first, you can have the honor of presenting the next WoGE.
This time I'm calling Schott's Rule (Publishing time: 2015.04.11-21:30 - Western European Summer Time)
Rules, tips and previous WoGEs are collected by Felix on his blog and a KML file is available with all WoGEs.


3 comentários:

  1. Schott rule means I should wait something like 36 hours - which gives me a few hours margin now. Not that I could have anwered any earlier, I only now got around to looking for it!

    49.07806°N 119.56694°W
    Spottetd Lake, a saline endorheic alkali lake located northwest of Osoyoos in the eastern Similkameen Valley of British Columbia, Canada.

    It contains large amounts of sulphates, mostly of magnesium, calcium and sodium plus various other salts. In the summer the lake dries leaving round pools of hypersaline water in a hard mineral pan.

    It looked like it was in a dry, not arid, area, near a river large enough that it was worth making a canal out of it. Or maybe just straightening the course as a flood prevention measure? Also the quite large and similarly sized fields point to North America. But unlike just a few kilometers further south, the fields are not obsessively north/south! So Canada. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. No ... it isn't ....

    Just kidding! Of course it is!

    This is a (somewhat) famous internet location and my 485's lucky victory was not in my "wild dreams", so ... I didn't have something well prepared to post and I had to plunge into the bottom to find this one!

    Ole, swim ahead!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. http://overburdenblog.blogspot.no/2015/04/where-on-google-earth-487.html is up!

    ResponderEliminar